Sunday, April 17, 2016

3 of ??..........catch up.......HA!!!!

.........at this rate I will never catch up.........so here are some random pictures of our travels (and very little writing) from another day with Richard.........

Who knew Alabama has covered bridges!?!?!?!!!!! We didn't till someone told us, so we had to go find them...........I think we found three, and the courage to drive across each one. This first one, we wondered about, till we saw a local drive across it..........

Horton Mill Bridge built in 1934



Some people can grow daffodils at random.........(sigh)..........
 
 

Easley Bridge built 1927

Swann Bridge built 1933




On the "top" of Alabama...........overlooking Guntersville Lake a.k.a. the Tennessee River......there are lots of dams and locks that have made it navigable but it has also backed it up into all the little valleys


Ahhhhh.................the thrill.............do you know........the first stage of this rocket, from the bottom to the first black ring, is just an enormous fuel tank? It's 138 feet long and was depleted in just 2 1/2 minutes! Got the whole thing off the launch pad and 38 miles into the air going 6000 mph! Just incredible to me.........the second stage, up to where it slants in, burned for 6 minutes, got it going 15,300 mph and 114.5 miles up........where it could enter earth orbit.......... Someday, I'm going to see it go up. I realize it will be an "old re-run" by then, but I still think Daddy and I will enjoy it.


The actual capsule of Apollo 16. It's been to the moon and back!!!!!! (and does look kind of beat up)
 

I love how the shuttle is "peeking" over the top of it's massive fuel tank. I can't tell you much about the shuttles.........it was Apollo that captured my heart...........


.........and when I go to space, I'm not going to need one of these..........we had a great time together...........

2 comments:

  1. You've been seeing lots of great things. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you have a great time with Richard! Not many days left....

    ReplyDelete