Sunday, October 10, 2010

10/10/10--Happy Birthday, Daddy!!!

Yes, today is the birthday of another amazing and wonderful man--my father! The thought was enough to propel me to my feet in testimony meeting this morning. I feel sorrow to know that I wasn't old enough to truly appreciate who and what Daddy was before he left us..........but what a legacy!! As a teenager there were times when I was unhappy to know that his name precluded me from some activities in our small town. Thank goodness we grow up and recognize that sometimes teenagers are just plain stupid! How thankful I am now--and have been for many years--to have learned that I didn't miss anything of vital importance and was possibly protected from situations and experiences that may have proved unhappy and/or hurtful.

I want to share just a couple of other deep seated memories.......my father always took the time to answer my questions. It didn't matter how silly they must have sometimes seemed to him. He always answered. I remember an early morning drive to Ogden, to the orthodontist, in the old black truck with a load of shavings (we tried to double up on trips as much as possible). We talked about clearance lights on semis that morning. I loved riding in that old truck. There was always plenty of time to look at everything. And you were high enough to see lots of things you couldn't see in a car. Going to Price for a load of coal was a grand time indeed!

I loved to go with him to do the chores in the winter--when I wanted to, of course. We would walk through the snow to Grandmother's. Once he had "blazed" the trail, he would walk in the same footsteps. Of course, his stride was much too long for my short legs and I was always thankful when there was a crust on the snow that I could walk on. I remember a few mornings in the early, pre-dawn light.......remember, I'm not a morning person, but I loved the mornings I made the effort to go with him to feed.

One more--July 4th--I was probably about 16 years old. I played the flute in the high school band, and the band always marched in the parade in Oakley. I was proud to march past our family--all sitting in or standing around the car backed into a spot along the highway. We tried to park in front of the creamery where there would be shade for most of the duration of the parade. At any rate, this particular July 4th Daddy was not going to be there. (Of course, I was unhappy about that!) He was going to irrigate for a member of the ward so she could take her four young children to the parade. I'm embarrassed to admit my uncharitable feelings about that...........but what an example he was to me. And I'm so sorry I was not mature enough to recognize at the time what a priceless gift Father in Heaven had given me. There really are disadvantages in being one of the "little ones" and I feel the loss acutely in that I had a whole ten years fewer to know him............that I was never really old enough to appreciate what I had until he was gone. But I'm so very, very thankful for what he did give me............not a great deal of the world's wealth, but many things of infinitely greater value. How I pray I will never disappoint this great man!! What a happy day it will be to be wrapped safely in his arms and tell him how much I have missed him and how often I could have used his wisdom!!.....how grateful I am for him. I anticipate many, many exquisitely happy hours............eternity............with him. Thank you, Daddy. And happy birthday! Next year we will celebrate the centennial!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the memories you shared! It will help me keep things in perspective with my own teenage daughter!! I'll e-mail you the cheese wedge instructions:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though this says Bob but it is really Flora Lee. He was a great man. There is no way he would be disappointed in you.

    ReplyDelete