Monday, October 4, 2010

my other father

I can't let this day pass without being grateful for the birth of an amazing man: my father-in-law, Willard Stephenson. From the very first day I met him he treated me with his own cheerful kindness. I will never forget his happy smile while leaning on the counter in Deseret Book (where I worked) to ask me if I had recently received a letter from his son--serving a mission in Brazil. The day after we told him of our engagement--years later--we all went to Salt Lake City for general conference--in April. As we were getting out of the car I said something about joining the family. He immediately put his arm around me and responded to my question. (Up until a few years ago I could have told you verbatim what was said, but my mind has become more slippery. Many of you know what I mean, the rest of you just need to wait a few years and you too will know!) But I remember the feeling of love and acceptance in that hug and I was never once given a cause to question it in all the years since. We had the privilege of living right next door, so our children had grandparents close--a mixed blessing sometimes. But I am so thankful for the relationship our children were able to have with their grandparents. He's been gone 17 years now and there are times when I miss him terribly. Dad, I love you, and I'm so thankful for the good name you have given our children. We are working hard to continue the legacy.............HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

4 comments: