Sunday, December 20, 2015

A lot of catching up.............

I don't know if I am busier than I used to be or lazier...........deep question........... There have been things going on..........I'm definitely getting farther behind, if that means anything.

The week following my post we had "temple week". All the missionaries are assigned a time when they can come in and attend a session at the temple. Roger and I were privileged to attend two sessions with them. It is always a treat to do this........the temple is wonderful on its own, but to attend with the missionaries adds something. We love it! It takes three days to get all the missionaries there. And since the temple is not "open" Tuesday and Thursday until 6:00, they ask the workers to volunteer for the "missionary sessions". And now that I'm getting to know a few people it's fun to walk around the corner and see someone I know and love!

We were able to donate blood again on the 5th. That's every eight weeks since arriving in June! We love doing that! ..........the next week was Christmas parties. We divided the mission in half--roughly--for those. Five zones in the south and four in the north. That's not half the missionaries, but since we have nine zones there is no way to divide it evenly. The food was catered and absolutely delicious both days. (We had the privilege of attending both parties!) And it was a privilege. Any time we get to associate with the missionaries. Two nights before the party in Huntsville Pres. Hanks called Roger and said he was having a problem with the seat belt in his car. Roger went over to see what he could do to help.......then brought the car home and tried to work on it here. They thought maybe a dime had dropped into the buckle and Roger was trying to get it out. He worked on it somewhere around an hour here (after an hour at the President's home) and finally gave up. He called his friend at the dealer's and she said to bring it "first thing in the morning".......which he did. They couldn't get it to work either so they all decided it best to order a new part and the President would drive the missionary car we needed to get up there for some missionaries. (I wish I could have seen him folded into that little car!!) We had already made arrangements to ride home with the Newmans. Roger and I waited the next day--the day of the party--for the dealership to call and say the car was ready. We ran some errands and twiddled our thumbs and finally they called. We left for Huntsville close to noon, I think. We wanted to stop along the way at an Amish bakery for some of their good bread. The GPS had us get off the interstate way early, so instead of the additional 20 minutes it was going to take us, I think it added an hour!!!! Sister Hanks called to see where we were. Roger told her we would be there in 45 minutes. Mistake!!!! You never tell a mom you are going to be there earlier than possible!!!! So she was calling us an hour later (when we really were almost there) to see where in the world we were and if we were okay. She had put plates in the frig for us so we were able to have some of the amazing food served at that party as well. We had "talent shows" at both parties........and wow!!!! It was so good and so fun!! I loved how they all cheered for one another; especially those who were so shy they would hardly open their mouths! Both days were totally wonderful and we feel so privileged to be involved. I had also asked for and received some orders for media (since we were not having MLC in December) and we wanted to get out all the copies of the Book of Mormon to start our "Book of Mormon blitz" the first of January. (I have never heard Pres. Hanks call it that--I just don't know what else to call it). I have ordered all the copies they will let us have for two months in a row now..........December 1st I ordered 39 boxes to augment the 91 boxes (plus 7 boxes Spanish) already in the closet and over the two days of the parties the Assistants hauled 93 boxes out of the office! I now have the additional 39 that can go out after the first of the year.

The next week was transfers.............need I say more? After getting all the mail out and making sure everyone had something for Christmas, (I have a new Christmas giving idea!!!) we had bikes, bedding, driving papers, safety DVDs, ............I wonder if it's ever going to be without incident!?!?!!! One sister thought she ordered her bike, but didn't, so her parents ordered it here and she had to go pick it up after transfer meeting. We don't know what is going on with the bedding.........we were told to have everything for them and they would bring money to buy the sheets and pillowcase.........some come with nothing, some with everything, and all the rest come with parts!!! It's quite a nightmare! But not nearly the nightmare it's going to be when these missionaries start going home and the issue of what is whose rears its ugly head. I can honestly say I'm glad I won't be here!!!! Roger couldn't find his safety DVD he is to show Wednesday morning..........he asked me to go to the office to look for it. I went with my customary bad attitude in those situations. When I couldn't find it how could I possibly ask for help!?!?!?!??? I did anyway..........still didn't find it. Turns out it was here at the apartment!! I didn't look here............We were able to go out to the airport Thursday morning to hug them goodbye. I tell the Elders their mom is going to be hugging them soon, so I can before they get on the plane. It's kind of hard to have them go, but I think of the families who will be waiting for them on the other end and how they have grown and the things they now know..........and I am glad. I've been there!!! And so have most of you.............so you know what I mean.

We had a senior Christmas party at the mission home. Did you know I am "a seriously good cook"!?!?! Well.........I am. Pres. Hanks has declared it. But I really can't take all the credit. I took Jill's cranberry cake with butter sauce and Audrey's dinner rolls. Neither turned out "perfectly" but the recipes are so good they can pretty much stand on their own. It was fun!! And we sang a few Christmas songs......asking if anyone could play the piano. Sis. Newman said I could. So I got to play. How I love singing Christmas carols with people who feel about Christmas pretty much as I do! And the piano at the mission home is a nice one!

We had our Christmas program in sacrament meeting today...........there were about as many people in the choir as there were left in the congregation. After church Roger and I went to the hospital to see Donna. We are going back tomorrow to take a tree and decorations. I neglected her shamefully last week.........didn't even know she was in the hospital until this morning after I tried calling and then texted her about going to church with us. I must stay better connected with her.

Wow!! this is long..............I'll put Vulcan in another post.............and try not to let things go so long between posting.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I know you are a seriously GOOD cook!! Happy you are having so many great experiences. Much love!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS....your posts are NEVER too long!

    ReplyDelete