Saturday, December 26, 2015

'Twas the day before Chirstmas............

........and we were playing Santa!!! or postman.............. We had several packages in the office that needed to get to missionaries, and one especial one we had misdirected and sent to the wrong Elder "Helaman". (since we have two of them in the mission) We waited for Tim, the mailman, to deliver at the office on the 24th. And after sorting that mail, we headed north-east toward the "top of Alabama". Lovely day. Lovely drive. Beautiful weather. Beautiful world.

Our third stop was in Guntersville.........on the edge of a lake made by a dam on the Tennessee River. It's a gorgeous "corner" of the world.........and outside the sisters' apartment we found this huge, ancient, amazing tree. It was the roots that really captured my notice..........



You can hardly tell where the tree ends and the curb begins!! Fascinated me! and I should have taken more pictures, but I didn't..............instead, I took pictures of the water as we headed out of town, across the "river" (they have a sign "Tennessee River", which I think is kind of funny......and somewhat misnamed) .......anyway..........it was beautiful. I wish the pictures were better and you could feel the refreshing, soft air and smell the moist ground. Words simply cannot do justice to the creations and deeds of an all-wise and extremely generous Father!




We were heading to Scottsboro.........a place I have wanted to see. And! oh! my!!! I was not disappointed in any way!! From Guntersville, which is "down" on the river, we climbed up over the hills till I could look all around and not see another hill "above" us!! I really felt like we were "on top". Then........we started down the face of this hill. I don't know how better to explain it........like going down switchbacks, but there were no switchbacks, just down the side of the hill facing the river........all the way down.........it was one of those times when the beauty (and maybe some longing) makes me ache........... These pictures are as we were leaving Scottsboro.........I drove most of the way between Guntersville and Scottsboro.



I somehow remember........and please don't ask me how, since it was so long ago...........in elementary school or very early high school talking about the Tennessee Valley Authority and how they were building dams on the river. I vaguely remember some controversy surrounding it--but I was too young to understand all that or even really be interested in it............well..........I get it now! While I will admit that the lakes are beautiful.......stunningly so...........I can't help but mourn for the "little" farmer, living on the same farm his grandfather farmed......the family who loved their little spot of earth tucked away in the trees up the "holler".......all who were forced to move because someone, somewhere decided it would be a good thing to build a dam. I'm not opposed to progress, but I am saddened when some are forced to do painful things they would never do if left alone. So I can look at the beauty of these lakes.......all the while feeling a small ache inside..........

Then!!! we had a spectacular sunset!!!!! Wow!! Someday I'm going to know how to do this!!! Again........I'm sorry for the smudgy trees........but it's better than nothing............and I kind a like 'em!



 We met missionaries in Huntsville and then Decatur before heading south and "home". It was about 8:00, and we were tired..............found out we had missed the deluge in the Birmingham area..........we really had an absolutely gorgeous day for a drive! And met with some of the finest young people I have the privilege of knowing! I feel so utterly blessed to be here!!! Thank you, all, for your love and support.






1 comment:

  1. You two were wonderful Santas!!!! and I know every missionary mom is very grateful for your efforts!!!!! Especially those who's child is away for Christmas for the first time!!! And that sunset is AMAZING!!!!

    ReplyDelete