Saturday, April 17, 2010

...a beginning

Since deciding to do this I have been through a whole gamut of feelings and emotions..........at first, I thought I would have to be careful of the feeling of having to "catch up" and wanting to post about everything! And there have been so many things, just in the past couple of days that I thought "Oh!! I need to add this to my blog!" (don't know if they will all make it, but I've had a few really good days here) Then I went through the worry of sounding silly and not having the time I thought it might take to get it just right so I would avoid sounding silly! So........here I am..........and it's just going to have to be what it is..........thank you, Candi, for your kind words. I have thought of this as a way for me to focus more on the blessings and joys I do have rather than the challenges. I hope you will bear with me and that there is an outside chance that something I say may have a positive impact in your life.

Now........with that said........here I go...........

This spring we have had the fun of starting our own seeds. With Michael's know-how and Richard's money we have a pretty neat little "greenhouse" in the heat room of our warehouse. Richard has a good deal of know-how too.......but it's been a collaborative effort and FUN!!! Richard first started geraniums and impatiens at his apartment in Salt Lake City. When it was time to transplant them, he brought them home and prepared the enviroment at the warehouse. We also planted more seeds: zinnias, wave petunias, bacopa (I'm not sure about the spelling there), coleus and onions. We have since planted peppers, tomatoes, lettuce, broccoli and spinach.......and more
zinnias. (The zinnias are because I wanted them........I love zinnias!) We've had our successes and our minor failures and setbacks. But on the whole, it has been most enjoyable!!! I even have a couple of my patio pots planted!!!


the general set-up........Richard built the benches and sprinkling system


from back to front: impatiens, petunias, broccoli, spinach


the geraniums and lettuce that needs to be transplanted (to the left)


these are onions and peppers that I transplanted the other day

One other thing...........

I was able to take Suzanne outside day before yesterday. It was a beautiful, warm day. She sat outside with me while I did a little work in the flower bed. She loves being outside. I'm so thankful for this new chair. It reclines and has leg supports and is so easy to push. You can see that she is enjoying the spring sunshine and warmth.............



3 comments:

  1. Aunt Carol! I love everything about your blog! I myself just started blogging a couple of weeks ago and it has been a pleasant experience so far.

    I am so excited to come back and read and stay more caught up with your life. I always enjoy your emails on the family website-thing. They always encourage me and I'm so grateful for your example of faith and diligence. I love you so much! Tell your family I say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright! You are doing great! I love, love, the picture of your mom's house. It looks like a post card! There are some things that are too sacred to share but for the most part I think we need to share our experience to help others:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I saw Nancy had a new blogger on her list and I checked it out and then I thought I know that house! Way to go Carol. Your plants and green house look great too. Geraldine, Gary, and one of their boys are giving "Community Supported Agriculture" a try. She is working on a web site. Give Suzanne an extra hug and good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete