Friday, April 23, 2010

...my three daughters


I am honored to be the mother of three beautiful daughters.......and they happen to all have April birthdays! You might imagine that I've been thinking about them a lot this month........

Lisa was the first to brave the world created by six older brothers. One of those brothers even threatened "this house is not big enough for me and a girl!!!" Then when she was born, he rode his bicycle to the hospital a couple of times to see us. He would come talk to me for a bit, then go out in the hall to look at his little sister through the nursery window.......come back to me.....then back to look at her. I could tell he was pleased. Another brother rode his bicycle home from elementary school that day, saw the sign Grandma had put on the front of the house proclaiming, "It's a girl!", (these were the days before routine ultrasounds) turned around immediately and rode right back to the school and burst in on a faculty meeting to announce that he had a baby sister! Everyone was excited for us! And then we all proceeded to "spoil" her. Though there were a few tense moments--(after all, she is normal), I believe she turned out to be a lovely young woman......intelligent, poised, gentle, kind, adventurous, creative, loyal, a hard worker, with music in her voice and fingers.......I could go on, but I'm sure you get the idea. No. She is not perfect. But that's okay. She'll get there. As beautiful on the inside as the outside, I am so thankful she is my daughter! I love you, Lisa.

Two years later we were expecting Suzanne......of course, we didn't know it was Suzanne--no ultrasound, remember? She was due the week Roger and his dad had to go to Needles to make the nucs. The doctor would not start labor to ensure Roger could be here.......he went to Needles. Two days later at 6:00 a.m. I called Grandma Steve. She came over to take me to the hospital. Then she returned home to get the boys up and off to school. Marsha, a good friend and wonderful nurse sat with me throughout labor and was there to welcome Suzanne into the world. We love Marsha still! Grandma called the school to have them tell the boys--they were enduring excited anticipation! The principal watched one of her brothers "skip down the hall" after learning of her birth. Since Roger was not here, Anne brought her video camera to the hospital when Grandma brought the boys and Lisa. Suzanne is the only one with a video--and it's treasured. It didn't take long for us to learn about Suzanne........with her cute, little off-set dimples that showed up when she smiled (and grew out of way too quickly). She is fiercely loyal and compassionate when someone is hurt. She has been called "a sweetheart" by every teacher (church or school) and school worker (lunch ladies, custodians) who knows her. She is gentle and patient.....her patience is an example to all of us. She loves deeply--wanting her family to be near where she knows they are safe. She is such a blessing to our family and beautiful throughout. I love you, Suzanne.

Another two years (didn't we plan well??) and we were anticipating another "little" arrival. This time there were no doctors in our little town who would deliver babies! We had to go "up north". I had a group of doctors I had gone to previously with a couple of the boys, so we returned to them. This time a condition was discovered that required an ultrasound--my first one!! We debated about knowing whether this one would be a boy or girl....knowing won out and we were delighted! Then, one day in April when I went for a check-up, the doctor was afraid to let me go home for fear I would not make it to the hospital in time if I started labor at home. Thankfully, I had listened and obeyed so I had a packed bag with me. Michelle was born that afternoon. How thankful I am for her safe arrival!--to have been entrusted with another of Father's precious daughters--she too has grown into a lovely young woman--gaining confidence in herself, sharing her talents for cooking, color, decorating, flower arranging and music. She is gentle, loving and kind......beautiful clear through. I am blessed to call her "daughter". I love you, Michelle

5 comments:

  1. That is so cool that they were all born in April! Lots of special people born in April. We are celebrating mom's 80th next Tuesday because Geraldine will be here. Thanks for sharing about your girls. That is precious

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, lots of wonderful April birthdays. I think your Mother was also born in April. Your daughters are lovely. I can see both you and Roger in them. Now I will see if I can keep them straight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice to find your new blog, Carol. Good for you. And how aptly named, Carol--a joyful heart! Your new greenhouse project and plantings are neat. You can fill up as many patio pots as you want. I'll look here often to enjoy your writings.
    Such lovely daughters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What perfect pictures of the girls! They all look so sweet and innocent....haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute! I love your girls, too. And what a wonderful mother they have! This is why they, also, are so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete