Sunday, May 16, 2010

...an ensign to the world...

I had been wondering what I might write about this week: water polo, garden......the pickin's were pretty slim..........THEN!!!!! while we were in Salt Lake and Bountiful areas for the State water polo tournament, Roger and I found ourselves wondering how we were going to fill a couple of hours before the last game. I suggested we drive up above the Capitol building and see if we could find the trailhead to Ensign Peak. I wasn't even sure which "peak" was the right one........just that it was north of the Capitol building. We drove around the capitol, commenting that we had not been up there since the renovation had been completed. We found a few dead ends and lots of houses...some we liked, and some we most decidedly didn't like! Then suddenly!! there it was!! "Ensign Peak Historical Park"! We hadn't really decided to hike up there, but thought we'd give it a shot.
(We are both so out of shape and I was a little hesitant about Roger "hiking".) The trail didn't look too challenging.......there are some parts more challenging than others, but not a bad hike

(the "stairs" were the worst part)
and wow!!!! what a view!!!!


We had a few stops along the way and our legs felt a little like jelly a couple of hours later. But we had a great time! And we made it all the way to the top!

Another thing I've "always wanted to do" and just didn't take the time or make the effort. I kept thinking of the early leaders of the church and Sis. Dalton and waving a flag..........kind of made me want to wave my own symbolic "ensign". I couldn't believe all the flowers!



Not lots, but it's been so cold lately and it was pretty windy on Friday. We were glad we had our jackets.


This is a picture of where we went............and now I know which peak is Ensign Peak!! I'm so glad we can find time now and then to be spontaneous.

3 comments:

  1. And you even had your camera along! Way to be prepared. I have done the hiki a couple of times. It is a cool place. Way to be spontaneous:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you two young bucks!!! What excitement and adventure! Now I know where Brian gets his spontaneity from....

    ReplyDelete
  3. After Sister Dalton's talk and our coming to Zarahemla we discovered an "Ensign Peak" here. Some Scouts cemented in a flag pole on it for an Ealge Project and Bob made a Gold Virtue flag which we flew last summer. This year I have made a flag with all the Value Colors to fly on it. It was good to see what the "real" Ensign Peak looks like.

    ReplyDelete