Saturday, July 24, 2010

garlic anyone?????

Yeah..........we are over the top. But that's kind of what happens when you have an interest in something and you are trying to learn about it..........you experiment, right??? Richard decided last fall he wanted to learn about and grow some garlic. He ordered a book--yes, a whole book to read about growing, harvesting and using garlic. He planted it (the garlic, not the book) and marked it last fall. People were so impressed early this spring because we had such large "onions" already. I think they were less impressed when we told them it was garlic. And we have had lots of jokes about breath and losing friends............ahhhh, the price of fame........ So Richard finished reading the book the other day and declared that it was time to harvest the garlic. AND WHAT A SURPRISE!!!!!! We have a couple HUNDRED garlic bulbs!!!! I'm not kidding!!! The pictures will speak for themselves. Any ideas on how to use this much garlic?? Anyone want some??? I told Richard we could have garlic mashed potatoes every day............he doesn't even like garlic mashed potatoes!!! I think he has the idea that if he will grow it I will use it..................sometimes I wonder............




We thought it looked like a little man with a mop on his head...........

Richard rigged up this "rack" to dry them on in our root cellar. Those bee boxes (supers) come in handy for all kinds of things..........

7 comments:

  1. Ok Carol. I love your blog! I linked through Lisa's, which I'm thrilled about. I will invite you to mine if you're interested....

    I'm interested in some of that garlic! :) I use garlic pretty much everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys can grow anything:) The deer won with my garden this year:( I like garlic but one does me for months. Have a great Sabath!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I made a rice recipe Saturday night and it called for garlic. I just used garlic powder and only sprinkled a little bit... well, the rice tasted fine while eating it but left a garlic after taste! I was surprised, because I really only used a small amount of powder. Anyway, I wonder, is actual garlic as strong as the powder? I'll have to experiment someday also!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I did try to warn you about the insane amount of garlic Richard planted! **grin** We'll take some, obviously. See you in a couple weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you can give it as neighbor gifts at Christmas time. :) My mom grows that much garlic every year. I'll have to ask her how she stores it. She also uses the garlic scapes, the green tops of the garlic. She grinds them in her food processor, mixes a little olive oil in, and then freezes them. When she needs chopped garlic, she just scoops some out. I don't use garlic, so I'm not much help, but at least now you know how to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly says you should sell it at a Farmer's Market. There's one in Logan ... you could come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the "little man" and the farmers market idea. Fun pictures.

    ReplyDelete