Monday, August 9, 2010

Kamas Lake

During our TRA family reunion the first part of August, some of us wanted to make at least one last trip to Kamas Lake. Our grandfather and his sons--including our father--found a small lake in the Uintas and built a dam to increase the level of the lake, thus increasing water rights on the Weber River. As children, we often went with Daddy to close the dam in the fall. I had not been to the lake since my marriage, so it follows that none of our children had ever been there. I've wanted to take them for a long time but did not dare do it on my own for fear of not finding it! (Translation--getting lost!) I did not pay close enough attention as a child--there were so many other things to look at and I always had my father to keep me on the right trail! Well, four of us--Irene, Millard, Janeen and I--along with many of the grandchildren and great-grandchildren made "one more trip for Daddy". I'm so glad we did!! And maybe I will go again............someday....... We ran into a snag.......the Forest Service has made "improvements". We always started our hike by parking our car off the side of the road at Pass Lake, crossing the road and picking up the trail at the end of the guard rail. Well! first improvement (and I'll have to admit that it is an improvement) they have made a parking lot a little farther up the road. We should have just walked back down the road and started our hike at our familiar trailhead--but we didn't. The sign at the parking lot:

This was the only sign with "Kamas Lake" on it and a trail started off a little to the right--so trusting souls that we are, we set off..........it wasn't long before we were telling one another that we needed to be farther west, that we didn't recognize any of the area we were hiking through. But we had begun and our group was already somewhat spread out so there really was not much we could do but go on and hope we all arrived at the desired destination............(without losing anyone!)

The trail went up..............

...and up...

...and up...

...Bald Mt. continued to shrink...

Michelle carried her baby! and kept smiling!!!

...we saw beautiful, new vistas and tranquil lakes...

...and continued to go up!...

...some commented that they were having a "nature experience mountain goat style". I called them gazelles...

...and we went up some more!! Notice how I am always looking up from the slow end of the pack? I've always been the "tail end"...suppose I always will be. But I had never before thought how many more steps I have to take than Millard!!

...we are almost at the top...thank goodness!!!...

...talk about the top of the world...(or at least, my world)...

...there was a little more "up"...and I made it!!! (So did Irene! we were pretty proud of ourselves)...


...the flowers were spectacular...

..."Baldy" was even "shorter"...

...we finally arrived...and this I remembered! It really is a beautiful little lake "tucked away in the heart of the hills"...and this one I have seen turn from deep blue to gold!


We walked around the lake and started down on the trail we knew. It was a beautiful hike down...and a time to revel in the memories...



...the alpine meadows were as lovely as I remembered them...I'm so glad I made the effort, but I'm not so sure "it was for Daddy". It was another day of restoration for me. Thank you, everyone, for making it possible (I would never have gone on my own) and letting me tag along.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you made the trek too. We were up in that area a month ago and hiked to a lake with some friends. Now I want to go back. Thanks for sharing the story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so fun to see the pictures of and read your post about hiking to Kamas Lake! Thanks for sharing. Love you lots! Suz

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful experience, after it was over. It brought back memories of a Rex gathering one Labor Day weekend and hiking Baldy. The boy cousins got way ahead that time too and it did seem like the top of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol,
    I discovered your blog post from a google image search for "Kamas Lake". My family also has a multi-generational connection to that lake, having visited every year since before I could walk. Recently, my wife and I moved away from Utah, and so I haven't been able to go up for a couple of years. Your pictures are beautiful, and reminded me of why that place is so special. Thank you so much for posting about your trip!

    ReplyDelete