Saturday, August 28, 2010

...of deserts, missionaries and miracles

Oh my...........I'm getting farther and farther behind............but my life is not all that exciting anyway, so there really isn't much to tell......... I uploaded these pictures a few days ago and I'm just now getting to writing something about them.

A few years ago (somewhere around 10!) we had some boys from the "west desert" live with us so they could go to high school here and play football. They don't have a football team at West Desert High School in Trout Creek, Utah, so they would come here for football then go home for the rest of the year to play basketball. Everyone in the school had to be on the basketball team! They were fun boys. Well..........one of them returned from his mission the middle of August so we wanted to go listen to him speak in church. We left here about 8:30 a.m. so we could have plenty of time............you never know what is going to happen when you drive out there...........

I need to back up a little..........Roger had gone to his early meetings that morning and our bishop told him to put some coveralls and a pair of gloves in. (Roger didn't tell me this until we were on the road.) And I thought of Joseph Smith telling Israel Barlow to buy a buggy whip. I also prayed that we would not suffer too much for our lack of obedience. We got there. Had our meetings and a great time visiting with friends we have made over the years. They had a big pot luck meal after church--very good. And we headed home. We had been traveling about half an hour when the "information panel" dinged and told us the air pressure in the right rear tire was low--24 pounds. All the others were 30-32 pounds! I prayed again--and rather constantly from then on, I might add............We had never even had the spare tire out! And it's carried under the Suburban and you have to lower it down with a crank..........we had never even really looked it over, much less gone through the actions. And Roger was in his suit, of course! We continued to watch the gauges--and drive slower--we pulled into our garage with 14 pounds pressure in that tire. We offered many prayers of gratitude. By that night it was flat as a pancake--or flatter--and Roger learned how to use our jack/crank/etc. the next morning. It really is pretty easy..........we're just grateful he didn't have to learn it all on a hot, dusty road in the middle of nowhere while wearing his Sunday suit!

Now for the pictures............I realize this is desert..........but there are beautiful things about deserts too........but you know that..........




We saw more antelope than other cars.........




The road starts out paved, but quickly turns to gravel...........it was a good gravel road.......



This is looking across the desert to Callao.......about 10-15 miles away..........

Trout Creek is somewhere this direction.........the church and school are "in" Trout Creek.

Notice the moon in this picture.........I really like this one..........I didn't take many pictures on the way home. I had already taken a bunch and besides, I was too worried about that tire going flat!!

We are so glad we went. You know.........we can plan to do something and then the preparing and thinking about leaving Suzanne all day sets in and I really drag my heels and wonder if we need to go..........well, we are just really glad we went.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, the desert and all of God's creation have beauty in them:) I have a similiar flat tire story from this summer while traveling with my friends. In fact we are just calling this the flat tire summer cause everywhere we have gone we have had a flat tire on something. But God ALWAYS takes care of us!!!!

    ReplyDelete