Tuesday, March 15, 2011

...AGHHH...SPRING!!!

Spring romped through town today.........no dainty little pirouette this time!! And since you "asked" for flower pictures.........here they are! Can I just say--I'M NOT READY FOR SPRING!!!! There are times when I wish I lived in Minnesota........or Maine..........or Alaska...........just think how much time I would have for sewing quilts in those climes. But then........I suppose I couldn't have the tomatoes and squash etc., that I get here. Hmmmmm.....I'm going to have to do some thinking about gratitude here.


The snowdrops are in full bloom. I really need to get more of them. Wouldn't they look good in a whole big "drift"?


You can see the red tips of the tulips to the right of the snowdrops. You can also see my "evergreen" weed that has been growing all winter long. They have a sod-like root system........they aren't there anymore.......this is the "before" picture....


Why do I never learn???? I think my mother has given up on me......we get to this point nearly every year. (I think there was one year when I got my clematis cut back before it started growing.) I couldn't tell you how old it is...........she's heard my cry of agony every other year when I have to cut off some new growth.


Some will be easier to cut than others.........but still! it's so hard to get anything to grow here I hate to cut, pluck, pull, pick anything that's green and growing. Thank goodness my clematis are tough and can thrive in spite of me...


The old-fashioned lilac--a daughter of the one by the dog house in Marion.


The white lilac--the granddaughter of one of my Grandmother's.


Preparation for the sweet peas. Richard planted them three weeks ago and they need to be transplanted. I want to put some "good" dirt in here for them. Since they don't handle the heat of July and August I thought I would "extend" the season the other way.........just think!!!! I could have blossoms in another month!!!! And I'm going to plant some morning glories and nasturtiums along side in hopes that they will be ready to take over when the sweet peas start dying back...........I'm a little worried about them squeezing out the sweet peas..........I might wait a couple of weeks to plant them. I'd love to have that whole fence covered with flowers. Wouldn't that be cool!?!??? We are supposed to have a day of rain tomorrow--I wanted to get the trench dug before then. I'm afraid I'm going to "pay" tomorrow............I'll keep you "posted"!

1 comment: