Saturday, June 5, 2010

promises in my garden

Perhaps you have been wondering what happened to all the plants from the "heat room greenhouse"?? Well.........here is the lettuce, planted into our garden near the house. It is doing really well........as you can see. The broccoli is under the "floating row cover" you can see at the top right of the photo. That is because I told them I would not touch the broccoli if there were bugs in it......so this is to keep the little yellow and white butterflies from laying their eggs on our broccoli. And the plants are growing really well. I'll have to take a picture of the onions another time........


I absolutely love peonies!!!!! I have EIGHT bushes in my front yard!!! Sadly.........I have only one red ones, which happen to be my favorite. I used to buy the "collection". You know, the two red, two white, and one pink? Well........I have only pink ones now!!!! And last year, Michael got me a red one from the USU greenhouse.....maybe two years ago.......and it's still alive!! RAH!!! And I bought another red one just the other day..........I have to keep trying......BUT!!! look at the buds on this plant!!! I do have a grudging respect for any plant that can put on a show like this is going to be!! I'll take another picture when those buds pop. And Michelle will gather them by the armfuls and bring them in the house.......heavenly aroma. It's then that I don't mind so much that they are pink...........


Here is another favorite...........an old-fashioned yellow rose bush brought from Mother's who got it from Grandmother. I had it in my back flower garden, but it started taking over, so we dug it up and moved it outside the fence. It doesn't get the best of care, but it thrives........... and every year I have to go out and stand in wonder...........I wish I could capture the scent. Even with the buds so tightly closed we could smell it a hundred yards away........I'll try to get another picture when these pop too..............I don't know if you can see how loaded it is.



4 comments:

  1. Wish you could blog some of that scent:) I'm a little worried about my peonies. Haven't caught sight of them yet. Bought some new bushes this year and they are still alive though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such lovely flowers, Carol! My old yellow pioneer rosebush is gorgeous this weekend too. It’s usually too early for Memorial Day—and this year—it’s too late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand.......our peonies are usually in full bloom for Memorial Day. Michelle had to pinch hit this year. I think she did a beautiful job, though I don't have any pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems we all love the peonies. Mine are red, and the buds are close to bursting! Can't wait for them.....mother will love them too!

    ReplyDelete