Friday, October 2, 2015

....the cost of love.........

I have been feeling so neglectful...........but there has either been absolutely nothing to write about (almost falling asleep at my desk isn't all that noteworthy)...........or we've been really busy and so tired at night I didn't want to do anything! Now that I look back.......it's been TEN days!!!! and so much has happened!! Last Wednesday, more than a week ago, sorry.........Roger took me to the hospital to see D while he went home teaching. I had an absolutely, totally wonderful visit with her. She cried when I walked into her room. She was all curled up and the room was dark. She'd been having an emotional battle--that would have been the 23rd, the day after she had planned on being baptized. She wanted to do it the 22nd because we wanted something good to think about on that day. She lost her two month old son on that day 25 years ago...........so we talked and cried together and generally "knit our hearts together". Her mom had said she would visit her that day, but then called to say she wasn't coming......and then I came. (What an amazing blessing to be the answer to someone's prayer.) I think I told you she calls me "Mama". She was released from the hospital the next day and was baptized on Sunday. What a wonderful experience for me!!!!!


Pres. and Sister Hanks came and later Sister Hanks defined it beautifully: "a sweet, reverent baptism". D had asked the stake president to be there to confirm her........I think he declined at first, but then said he would. How I wish I had a recording of that blessing for D!!!! I remember much of it, but not all. Such an absolutely wonderful day. And I probably had the best experience fasting I've had in a very long time. That is something I really need to work on.........or maybe I am expecting too much? I don't know.

Then we had to get ready for transfers. We had a really good office meeting Monday morning. I really like those meetings. So grateful I get to be a participant! I asked for media orders from the zone leaders the end of the week, because I knew the whole mission was going to get turned on its ear. One of the Assistants had said this was a big transfer. Thankfully, I got most of them before zone leaders were changed around.

We took the truck and trailer out to the airport Tuesday afternoon to help with the arriving missionaries. SO FUN!!!!!!! Then the training at the mission home...........on task for six hours straight..........tired rabbits here.............

Wednesday was transfer meeting--Roger was driving the truck and trailer again......and we were so tired when it was over. I don't know why it takes so much out of us. Elder and Sister Newman were "exhausted" and had to wait for a sister to come to the office for her bicycle. So Roger and I went to Ensley for the Book of Mormon "class". The Newmans have been doing that, but they didn't come at all the other night. Can't say that I blame them. Sister Newman told me yesterday that she feels like all she does is "put out fires" all day long. I can understand her feeling that way............

Up at 5:00 Thursday morning to help with the returning missionaries. We haul the luggage in the trailer. That was a mixed blessing.............there were a couple of Elders in this group we had worked with in the office and one taught D. Such good young men!! It is hard to have them gone. But so grateful to have had the opportunity to know them. I thought I could have some hard days every six weeks if I'm not careful...........but I don't know what to do about it. That's the cost of love, right?

I started putting all the media orders together yesterday, and was so unhappy and frustrated when I realized that I don't have enough Book of Mormons AGAIN!!!!!!! (I've decided I'm going to call them "Book of Mormons" because we say "Bibles" and don't think a thing about it! We never say "five copies of the Bible"......it's "five Bibles"..........so why not "five Book of Mormons"???) I ordered 15 boxes twice!!! And I still don't have enough!!!! I'm REALLY not happy about it!!! I'm going to have to give everyone one fewer box than they want......and a couple of zones maybe will have to do without two of their order. So............earlier in the week I ordered 30 boxes. And today, when I realized how short I am I ordered 30 more!!!! I am even more skeptical that I will ever really figure this out! AGH!!!!!!!

It has really cooled off.........I was glad to have my jacket on today, and the Elders came in with sweaters on. One of the Assistants is from Honduras and going "home" to Utah. He said, "Sister Stephenson, I'm afraid I'm going to be really cold in Utah." He was cold today in his shirt sleeves. Roger thought it felt good...........but if it continues to cool like this, I can see that we are going to be cold in another month.

Again...........sorry it's been so long since I posted. And sorry this is so .......blah.......... I'm feeling kind of "blah" tonight. I'm tired. And that's part of why I have not posted this week. I've been tired most every night!! Still so very thankful to be here........... and I am learning albeit so slowly.............

3 comments:

  1. NOTHING you write is "blah." I had been a little worried that you were sick...tiredness and even the feeling of "same old" is just fine in a missionary! Thank you for your wonderful post. I too had a good Fast Sunday, quiet...even felt the prompting that I should not bear my testimony. We had as many humble, faithful testimonies as there was time for and the Spirit bore witness to me several times. Oh, tomorrow and Sunday will be sooooooooooooo good! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was not a BLAH post! I hang on every word! I like that share the good and not so good :) I follow a young mother's blog and that is what I love about it...she is real! I can see the 6 week roller coaster ride...but like you said what a wonderful blessing to be there with those young people. That must give you so much hope for the future!!! And loading and unloading of the mission trailer:) Clint got the mission van and trailer stuck in the snow once...guess you won't have to worry about that....glad it has cooled off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you tell I'm finally doing some catching up on your blog? What a great post Mom - tell Dad to get a picture of you falling asleep at the desk next time to share with us. Go ahead and have those "hard days" every six weeks. You won't regret them :-)

    ReplyDelete