Sunday, January 17, 2016

....pay day!.....

Sorry......but I guess with me it's either feast or famine. Sadly, I think that's the way I am about many things: reading, books, fabric, sewing, cooking, sleeping, yard work, vegetable gardens, preparedness and food storage........you get the idea. I have a real hard time being temperate about things. If you're "in" be in all the way. Don't sit on the fence! That said, I'm pretty good at acquiescence.........even when I have an opinion!! And sometimes that is not so good............

At any rate, you aren't here to hear my philosophizing......so I'll stop. But I do need to give you some background info here........... The funds contributed to "Book of Mormon" on the donation slip purchase Book of Mormons to send to the missions for the missionaries to give away. Each mission is allocated a number of books each month. (I don't know if that changes with the difference in donations from month to month--I have not paid attention to that. I'm still learning here!) Anyway, Pres. Hanks has declared January "Book of Mormon month" in the Alabama Birmingham Mission and challenged each companionship to give away 40 books! Some of the missionaries have set a goal of double that, and some have already given away 2/3 of that. I ordered all the books I could to be here by the first of December as we were going to see all the missionaries at the Christmas devotionals. We knew there were not enough, but that I could order somewhere around 1400 on December 1st and they would be here before MLC on January 5th. But the missionaries kept giving them away!!!!!! So then we didn't have enough for everyone at MLC!!! Since we were in the office on January 1, I put in an order then for all the books they would allow. They arrived last Friday. I texted the zones I knew had not got all they wanted at MLC. (We tried to figure out as best we could to get the missionaries farthest out covered and we could drive to closer areas and still let the ones close have enough to get them through. I am lousy at that kind of planning. And my stomach goes into hyper-drive!) Anyway, I made the assistants help with that decision and felt okay about it. So........yesterday Roger and I took 17 boxes of books to the Madison and Huntsville zones. It was a totally gorgeous day for a drive. We left here about 9:00--having loaded the car the night before. Drove straight up I-65, stopped in Madison at the ZL's apartment, gave them books and mail, then drove over to Huntsville. And there is that Saturn V rocket!!!! Oh my heart!!! I wish we could send off another one and I would have a front row seat!!!!

The Huntsville elders were just going to lunch so they could go do some service. We asked them to meet us someplace they would like to go--that they wouldn't go themselves--and we could have lunch together. Talk about a delightful treat!! Two absolutely, totally wonderful Elders that we got to spend an hour with! Such a privilege!! One is Mark Littleford's grandson. He's a great missionary!! And his companion is not a whit less! Also, we had a really fun server who was baptized when she was 13 years old!!! Obviously, she did not understand then.......and still doesn't. She declined our invitation. We ate the "The Blue Plate Cafe". Scrumptious food!!!! I had pot roast...........wow! Afterward, we put the books in their car and we headed home.

We had not gone far when Roger said, "Isn't there another road we can take so we can see some of the country?" I whipped out my trusty map. Found a "county road" at the next exit and we left the Interstate--heading west a little before south again. I'm so glad we did!!! We found ourselves in Danville--the home of the yummy "Old Cookstove" restaurant where we ate with the senior couples a few months ago. I don't know the names of the other little towns. Part of the road follows along a ridge that was the boundary between the Creek and Chocktaw "lands".



I loved these smaller, "under-story" trees with the pretty golden leaves still clinging to them. It gave such a .........fairyland............dainty............ don't know...........if I had an idea "why" I don't remember it. They just made me smile.


And I enjoy driving through these "tunnels" with the beautiful blue sky for a ceiling. The pines are so tall and pretty with the bare deciduous trees among them. We drove through a wildlife preserve--or something like that, though we didn't see anything......... stopped for a short nap in a very small town with a blinking red light at the intersection. Roger was getting sleepy. We had plenty of time and he didn't want to miss anything. Besides, I didn't want to drive either! We both had a refreshing nap.

We finally came to where we had to get on a "highway", but I had seen signs about a natural bridge. We decided to check it out. It was less than a mile past the highway. So glad we did!!!


It's the longest natural arch east of the Rockies. And while not like our arches in Utah, it was worth the effort to see it. The sandstone washed out and left the layers with the iron in them. Interesting! And we could walk in, under it. I had to fight down my claustrophobia and succeeded enough to where I could "hike" around the little trail around the walls. Glad I did that too! (I'm always afraid something is going to fall on me!) In the following pictures, you can see the pipe "railing" if you look closely.




There were two small, spindly trees reaching up to the sunlight.


This is the rock face a little farther along the trail! I wish I had a picture of the whole thing, but I didn't know what it would look like in the picture and my phone as at 1% of the battery! There were only about four other people there. It was a little chilly, but we had our coats and it was quiet and peaceful. Such a sweet bonus. Wish we had known about it when we were in the area with the senior couples.............


When we saw Nauvoo on the GPS we had to go check it out! Where in the world did they come up with the name Nauvoo?????? I don't even know who to ask!



 It's been here a while........


And you had to see the bird house gourds. I'm sure you've seen them before. But I'm surprised at how prevalent they are here.........and lots of them all together. The little goats were cute too, and this isn't a very good picture because I was in a real hurry..........don't remember why............

I have wanted to go back to see Rebecca--Marjorie's daughter. So when Roger suggested we get off the beaten path, I planned the route with the plan that we would come fairly close to her house. And it worked!!!! Thankfully, we still had her address in the GPS and she was home and let us in. It was dark by this time. She asked who we were before opening the door. It was good to see her again. She was glad to see us and grateful we would come. We had a really good visit with her--this was only the second night she had spent alone. I had taken a Book of Mormon with the intent to give it to her and she received it gladly, with the promise she would read Jesus' visit to the Nephites. She even left it open on the arm of her chair. I prayed/pray she will feel the power in the book and read more and more. She is a lovely, delightful woman. We hugged her goodbye and wished her well. She will be moving in a few weeks and then she's getting married sometime this year. I sincerely wish her the best.

We drove straight to Ensley--without much time to spare--for a baptism! Remember, I told you about the man whose daughter is serving in Nebraska? Well. He was baptized last night! He is so happy! We took him to stake conference this morning and he can hardly keep at least one foot on the ground! Made me think of Donna and how she says it feels like it's always Christmas! Why can't everyone see that following the Savior makes people happy!?!?!??? Such a simple thing..........and yet so hard to get people to see it...........

I'll stop. This is plenty long. Sorry. But we did have a really wonderful day. So grateful I can share it with you!


1 comment: