Saturday, September 5, 2015

....a sweet day.....

We had a totally delightful day yesterday...........I was going to tell you about it last night, but I was too tired. And we've had a full day today--our p-day. But we went to Sylacauga to see some missionaries. Then Roger sold a car. We went grocery shopping, and then to the Newmans to watch the BYU-Nebraska game...........WHAT A GAME!!!!! Well..........really, what a second!!! Okay. Now for yesterday............GO COUGARS!!!!!!!!!!!

We had a "senior outing". Roger made arrangements with a beekeeper near Huntsville to see his operation. We left early because Roger wanted to find his place and talk to him, if he could. It was a misty morning in September........beautiful!! It was a peaceful drive......





The Tennessee River was............. 'course, you know there are so many dams on the river it doesn't "run" in many places.....at least that I've seen........but it's still beautiful.


We got there in plenty of time, so we drove around--and found ourselves on Monte Sano and a road called something like "lookout ridge". But everything was private--there was no "lookout point" and in most places the trees were "in the way". This is from in front of someone's driveway.


If you look carefully in the upper right hand of this first picture you will see something............it's just above the top little branch poking out from the tree........ I doubt I will ever get tired of seeing it and it still fills me with awe and a sense of wonder at "our" audacity! I can hardly fathom that we really thought we could do it! And then we did!!!!!


We met the other couples at a restaurant recommended by Pres. Nolan (Pres. Hanks' counselor) who lives in Huntsville. The restaurant is 1892.........and I learned why when we got out of the car--well, we took the mission van so we could all ride together out to the bee location and we could talk more easily. So.......I got out of the van and right there was one of those historical marker signs. The area we were in was settled in 1892 as a part of Southern reconstruction. After the trolley lines were put in, people could move farther away from their jobs, so this area was settled and started to develop economically. It was more detailed than that, but that is the gist. The food was delicious, though I really need to try to learn how to choose the good food!! I would have traded plates with anyone at the table, except I would feel badly to take their wonderful-looking food. Mine wasn't terrible. It just was rather plain by comparison--my favorite part of my meal was the sweet potato bun around my barbequed chicken. Sorry........I'll stop whining.

We all then drove to Bill's Honey Farm...........



Pres. Hanks was excited to learn about bees and honey production. And it was so fun to watch him. How I wish I could converse with people as easily! He was "up front" and "unafraid"--if I can say that. The waiter at the restaurant hadn't been in the room three minutes before Pres. Hanks asked him if he knew anything about Mormons. And when Ben said he didn't know much but would like to know more..........well, Pres. Nolan gave him one of his personal "I'm a Mormon" cards and Elder Millyard gave him a card about the Book of Mormon.


Bill's bees he took us to see.

And his neighbor and friend was harvesting his corn. We had seen the field completely brown and dried up.........totally unsuitable for silage!! Roger thought they would harvest the corn kernals--and sure enough, that was it.......and as always, so interesting to me.........everyone enjoyed it.


Bill also took us to see his grapes........huge grapes that he called something else, but i don't remember what it was......starts with an 'm'. He lets people come pick their own...........


He also had some pecan trees........I don't know if that's what's behind me and Sis. Newman. I wanted to take some pictures, but my camera was in the van..........

 
 On our drive home we saw this stunningly beautiful cloud...........and then the river again, this time the west side of the road...........and the cloud some more........




 I don't know how to fix this and I'm too tired to play with it anymore............








Picture me..........flying--well, figuratively, down the freeway, hanging out the window with my camera strap around me neck, trying to take pictures of this cloud before the trees get in the way, or trying to get one when the trees are out of the way............it was breathtaking in more ways than one!!! But so lovely.........




We stopped at a nice restaurant one the way home to get something to eat. Roger was determined that I have something good, that I wanted............I had some delicious cedar planked salmon......and this was his dessert (only I ate 2/3 of it!) .....some of the most delicious creme brulee I've ever had!!! It topped off a most delightful day...........perfectly.............




2 comments:

  1. I love the visual of your photography technics :) I also love clouds and that one was amazing!!!! Glad there was a picture of you too...You look wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it is LOVELY! Thank you for hanging out the window AND for being safe!!!

    ReplyDelete