Thursday, June 25, 2015

I stand in awe...........

First of all......thank you all for your kind comments. This has been fun for me. And it makes me record my thoughts and our activities. So........if you are up for another one............

It was an absolutely gorgeous day.......
We had another session at the temple this morning. It was totally wonderful!! And I'm so envious! We got there for Pres. Hanks' little "instruction" time before the session. There is a waiting room just inside the front door to the right that I missed yesterday. It was standing room only. Thankfully, we teach etiquette (and being respectful to your elders) in our culture, so I was able to sit. But that's beside the point.........Pres. Hanks taught us things this morning that I really wish I had known forty years ago when I first went to the temple!!! And I've spent all these forty years trying to figure out things that are totally superficial and maybe even non-existent!!! And obviously unimportant--with this new insight. But what a blessing to learn it now! I'm so thankful I could be there today. I hope we have an opportunity sometime in the future to talk about these things........


It was delightful to watch the Elders greet one another and stand around in the heat and humidity talking together. They are all so kind and seem anxious to meet us. Some of the older ones are more willing to talk, and have more confidence in doing so. It was fun to watch Roger interact with them. He had a couple of them he needed to talk with...........such a fun time.........


When we got to the celestial room we sat on one of the couches for a bit. Pres. Hanks came over and sat down beside me and asked how we are doing........that he hears good things from the other missionaries--especially the ones we are working with in the office. They are kind.......but we are trying hard to learn what we should be doing. Anyway........then he started to "introduce" some of the missionaries..........he prefaced it by "every one has a story" and how he loves them. ....an Elder who was so discouraged and depressed and treated poorly by his companions when he first arrived that he just about went home.........I know him!!!!! What a blessing he has been to us!! And a sweet, loyal, dependable young man. I'm so thankful he didn't go home! I would not have known him! Two sisters who, when they first came "would not open their mouths". One is now a Sister Leader Trainer and the other.....after 4-5 companions who had to teach every lesson, do every door approach and talk to every "WalMart contact" gave more than 50% of the lesson the other day!! He said she was the greatest miracle in the room. Then an Elder from Jamaica (I'm going to ask him if he maybe knows Doug)........he came with a group of 38......and "got lost at the airport". They couldn't find him!!!! Finally......at the baggage claim. He was helping random strangers up the stairs with their luggage. They waited half an hour for him! He is "my best missionary", a zone leader for ten months and going home soon. Pres. Hanks will cry again. He is not looking forward to next transfer.........this will be the first group to go home that he welcomed to the mission. He does not like the every "six week heart wrenching".

On our way back to the office we ventured into downtown Birmingham to the DMV.........yeah...... that dreaded place........and there was the requisite line! Thankfully, they had a lady walking down the line directing people and answering questions. We learned that we didn't have all the information we needed, so we left. I shudder to think how long we could have been there just to learn that!!

I placed my first order today!!!! It only took four calls to Salt Lake and at least thirty minutes on the phone!! Talk about a circus! And then, some of the missionaries came to the office after their temple session this afternoon. One really rewarding for me........they wanted a large print Triple--which I did not have because they have been flying out of the office all week and we only had ten to begin with. It was supposed to be for one of my referrals!!!!!!!! I felt like stealing one out of a box for another Zone!!! I was thrilled!! Not really "my" referral, but one I had processed.......and the lady was really excited because the missionaries were on her doorstep the day after she had made her request!!!! That's the way it is supposed to work!!! RAH!!!!!! I wanted to hug those young men!!

I told one of the Elders at the temple that really, the most awe inspiring thing about it all is the young missionaries!! They are incredible!!!! They are not perfect. And sometimes they do really stupid things. But they do so much good!!!! They go out there and teach and testify..........it is an amazing thing, really. I stand in awe................

One more thing that is neat, but not spiritual at all..............remember Lee Johnson, BYU punter on the 1984 team? His son is in our mission!!! I had to run out and shake his hand!! I was in "my room" and could hear them talking.......he was delighted to find some people who knew who his dad is/was and admired him. He said they are kind of hard to find.............made it all the more special. I was impressed with him. 

3 comments:

  1. What a great day!!! I wish I could of been at the temple with you! I love the temple but know I am missing something.....
    I'm stumped on who is coming from Evanston...we have 3 going from our ward but not going your direction???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have written down the things you learned in the temple.....because I'm with Nancy.....must wait till you get home and we can talk in an appropriate place. Remember how we felt after the sealing of Dan and Kellie? Make sure you write it down..... Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the happenings in your mission. Your President sounds like a wonderful man.

    ReplyDelete