Wednesday, August 5, 2015

piles of work........

A fairly long and very busy day today. We've had three really good days here. Last Friday Roger was really tired and somewhat discouraged because there was so much to do and I think he was wondering if he was ever going to "get on top of things" or be able to do what really needed to be done. I may have told you all that.......forgive me if I have.........but then, while we were waiting for the doors to open for "Mary Poppins".......okay, I didn't tell you.........He took me to see "Mary Poppins" for our anniversary!!! Isn't that grand!?!?!?!!! And it was a delightful production. We had a great time. We sat by some women--rather young women--who had brought their daughters--all cousins--the women were sisters/sisters-in-law. It was fun. And when the woman I was sitting by wished me "luck" on our mission, I really wish I had asked her if she meant it? And what could she say but "yes"??? Then I could have asked if we could share our message with her!! That's kind of Ammon's approach isn't it? But........I didn't........and I may never have another opportunity. But I am getting braver!!! I'll tell you about that in a minute.......

So it was a real blessing to have a weekend........a Sunday to "rest".........

Monday (I'm really sorry. I can hardly believe it's Wednesday night!) I'm trying to remember: office meeting; we inspected two cars so they could be sold; and I sewed a lot..........I told you they were going to send referrals right to the missionaries in 2-3 months.......well, it's now! I had one referral on Monday and not one since. I know it couldn't just quit like that. At least I hope not! I really hope they are sending them to the missionaries. But it sure doesn't help my "feeling needed" meter.

Tuesday we had a few mileage and inspection reports come in. This is what I can do to help Roger. He has taught me how to get into the programs and how to enter the information while he is talking to missionaries--coaching them on their driving and putting out fires like oil changes, cars that won't start (new batteries), new tires, etc., etc. He really is on call all the time! One of the Assistants told him to turn his phone off tonight! Yesterday afternoon I also got part of my order!!!!!! I was so excited!!!! I now have Bibles to take to zone conference tomorrow!!!! And some other materials they wanted. I am really glad and thankful about all that!! I got things all organized and "put away" in "my" room........it was lovely.

Today we had another stack of mileage and inspection reports. Elder VanBuren was chuckling when he brought them to me.........


I think he thought I would groan, but really, it was something I could do!!!

Here they are, almost ready to be filed. I go through them, check the receipts against the mileage/fuel log they fill out, then check them on the statement on the computer and record the "ending" mileage for the month in the "cars" program. It probably sounds redundant and persnickety, but I do it to help Roger and I quite enjoy it........so far..........we'll see how I hold out over the long-haul........... I got them all finished and filed before I needed to get my things together for zone conference tomorrow. I had four boxes of materials/books to take out to the car. Elder Sariah helped me--and then I remembered that he has a sore back!!!! He told me not to worry about it..........yeah.............

We bought us a new couch on Saturday because the old one was dreadfully uncomfortable. So the Assistants took the truck and helped us pick it up at the store and bring it home. It was an extremely tight fit--think take the door and weather stripping off and still b.a.r.e.l.y. fitting through. I don't know how they will ever get it out............. The Assistants had to go back to the office for a little bit and then came back to help us some more and we fed them supper. They are such good young men!!! It's so wonderful to get to know them............ There are others too. I am really getting to love them. YEA!!!!!

I didn't tell you that we went to the temple last night...........another wonderful blessing. It has been closed for two weeks for cleaning, and they didn't answer the phone at all yesterday, so I didn't know if it was really open or if there would be room in the session. There was. I was the second sister "in line". Another "picker-upper". I was proxy for Mattie _______ Adams.......AGH!!!!!! I was going to remember it!!!! She was born in 1889........isn't that a year after Grandmother Andrus? And I thought, "My goodness! I could have known her! We were alive in the world at the same time for at least a little while!" And partway through the session I felt her joy!!! I am so excited to meet her!!!! What if I already know her???? Don't you just love the radiant truths of the gospel of Jesus Christ!!?!?!?!!!!


And while we were eating our sandwich--on our way home--a beautiful family came in........darling children--three, I think. Roger said something about a beautiful little girl and the dad said something about "blessings". We exchanged a couple of other pleasantries and Roger and I went out to the car. Then I had a feeling that I had to do more. I got an "I'm a Mormon" card out of my purse and ran back in.......told them we believe that families can be forever and if they had questions they could go to the website to learn more and ask questions if they wanted to. It was a fantastic feeling!!!! I don't know if I should have said more, but it felt okay, so I have to trust that.......else I could drive myself crazy here!!!

Wow! I didn't realize so much had happened in these three days! And tomorrow we have our first zone conference. I'm looking forward to that! Thanks for hanging with me!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. We both like to be busy!!! :) I have enjoyed this summer being busy doing wedding things! I am proud of you for being brave! It will only get better with experience and the mantel that you have :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the 'Hanging in There' with you! Keep them coming, my rope is gigantically long.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your love of the "radiant truths" made me think of this from Elder Maxwell--In my life, whichever way I turn, there looms Jesus, name of wondrous love. There is none like unto him. Whether taught in the holy scriptures or in the holy temples, his gospel is remarkable. Whether it concerns the nature of God, the nature of man, the nature of the universe, the nature of this mortal experience, it is remarkable. His gospel is stunning as to its interior consistency. It is breathtaking as to its exterior expansiveness." Thank you for ALL that you write, I love you!!

    ReplyDelete