Saturday, August 22, 2015

........Roots.......

We have had a fun day today! The Bessemer Stake--"our" stake--sponsored a "Rootstech, Family Discovery Day" 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. Somehow I got things mixed up and was thinking 2:30!!! AGH!!! When Roger came in and said we needed to go soon, I panicked!! I needed to wash my hair.........and think........my hair is in dire need of a trim and a perm.......very dire........indeed!! So, I swallowed my pride, jumped in the shower--and out, spritzed my hair in back where it is the worst, quickly dried it and curled all of it, threw on my clothes and we were out the door in about 20 minutes! Sadly, we were still late..........but they started out with a welcome meeting in which Stake Pres. Johnson spoke as well as the mayor of Bessemer........... you know there are several members of the community there when there is clapping following a testimony!! We were hoping to get into a class here or there, but they were pretty full. We did squeeze into one about Ancestry.com (we sat in the furtherest back corner of the room where Roger had a good nap). The teacher was entertaining, but I didn't learn a whole lot about using Ancestry other than I can sign in from FamilySearch and use it for free. When that came up in the class I squirmed a little because the "community members" don't have that luxury, though they were profusely invited to the family history center at the church. Still.......... Then we went to one with the title "But my Work is All Done". And we learned the peculiar difficulties the people of the South face. That was interesting! But not very helpful for us........ Things like the North burning so many public buildings during the war; the total lack of records for African Americans; points of immigration during the 1800s; floods; tornadoes, etc. I didn't dare bring up the idea that ancestors had "done it all". I know it's not "done".........but I really don't know how to do it or where to start. (A little point of interest! One time she said, "The War of the Confederacy"......I've never heard that before!) There were some really interesting displays in the cultural hall. I wanted to take some pictures, but didn't want to call that much attention to myself..........fun stuff. Do any of you know if we have an ancestor who fought in the Revolutionary War?  I was really impressed with the whole thing and it was well attended with several people traveling quite a distance. Way to go Bessemer!!!

After that was over we took a different road "home". It is fun to see different parts of the area. We stopped to eat at a little "hole in the wall" SAWs Barbeque. We had a baked potato stuffed with barbequed pork, butter, sour cream, green onions, cheddar cheese........it was good and one was enough for both of us. I want to talk to them and see if there is a possible MLC lunch there....... Maybe if they would bake the potatoes............ we'll see. We have MLC coming up September 1, so I have to get to work on it.

I need to stop "chatting"........I have a Relief Society lesson to finish up for morning. I saw the President at the church this afternoon and she was so thankful that I'm doing the lesson this week. She is a sweet lady. Every time I see her I get a hug and an "I love you". There are wonderful, loving people in Ensley.............

1 comment:

  1. For a little bit there it seemed like you could almost be in a different country...interesting!!!

    ReplyDelete