Sunday, August 16, 2015

Thursday - Saturday

Wow! What a wonderful three days of conferences..........though we did get pretty tired out. Wednesday we had conference here in Birmingham. Thursday morning we left before 6:00 to get to Huntsville on time. It was such a pretty drive. We were taking a car to some sisters whose car is going to be in the garage for two weeks (they got rear-ended). The Assistants were supposed to take it, but they forgot, so I had to drive our car while Roger drove the mission car. I don't like to drive--I'd rather sleep or look all around. I did some looking, but you know, you have to pay some attention to the road! The sun was coming up just as we got on the freeway.........and you don't have to be very far north of Birmingham before you are out in the trees and fields. In some places the dew was so heavy it looked like frost in the new sunlight. It really was a lovely drive.........though I was really glad when we arrived! The missionaries began arriving soon after we got there. We gave them the inspection papers and helped them check the fluid levels and air pressures...........we stayed out and finished a couple of cars that came later, but were inside in time to do our presentations and eat lunch. After lunch we checked the Tiwis.........then Roger wanted to get some tires changed so the Elders wouldn't have to take the time to do it. And our car needed to have a little job done--the drain from the AC was clogged, so it was dripping inside the car. Smelly!!!!! We took both of them to Firestone. They said they could do them so we waited and waited. Finally we told them we had to get the car back for the missionaries and they hadn't done ours either.......... We returned, bid the missionaries good-bye, and went to find someplace to eat before heading west to Tupelo, Mississippi.

Getting there was quite the adventure! Because we are on the eastern edge of the time zone it gets light early and dark early! So we hadn't gone far before it got dark, and we weren't quite sure of the way, but were getting along fine until our GPS started telling us to "turn right...." or "turn left...." and there was no road to turn onto!! The map on the GPS showed that we were not even on a road!! We finally found an "off ramp" and found ourselves in Red Bay--which I thought should have been still farther away. I took my paper map and went into a C-store. The clerk didn't know a whole lot, but a young man there was very willing and gave instructions to "go here", "turn left the turn right". I asked him to come out to the car and repeat that to my husband. When we got out to the car, Roger was talking to a police officer. These people are very friendly and willing to help! We got back on the road and soon after, Elder Van Buren called.........he thought he had seen us going the other direction. He had!! He saw us just after we turned around--in our confusion........ Our GPS still showed we were driving "off highway"....out through some field.........then suddenly, we were back on the road! Crazy! Elder Van Buren said it's a new road and not really finished yet, and then, we haven't updated our GPS. Thankfully the rest of the trip was uneventful. At least until we were driving down Main Street in Tupelo and I checked ahead on the GPS. Somehow I had us going to the stake center instead of our hotel!!! And we were exhausted!! Talk about being glad to see a bed! And thankfully, it was a very comfortable bed!

Next morning we were at the stake center and handing out papers again, checking cars, glove boxes and Tiwis...........(now, THANKFULLY we are done for another three months!!!) But we had to pull out a bunch of non-working Tiwis. Inthinc (inthink) who makes the Tiwis wanted Roger to make sure the plug on one of the cars was getting a full 12 volts, so we took it to Firestone--and our car too, because it was still dripping--they said they could get them right in. The man was a little startled when Roger asked what that meant. When Roger explained, he assured us it would be very soon and he was sorry their AC was not working. There were a couple of other women waiting and I went over to sit down. I don't remember how the conversation got started, but one of the women was from France! She comes over here every year for "Elvis Week" in Tupelo!!!! She's done that for FORTY YEARS!!!!!!!! I was stunned!!! Though I tried not to show it. Maybe the surprise came through........ It was delightful to talk with her. She even told me if I ever go back to France I can call her and she will make sure we see "other" parts of France. She gave me her "card". So I gave her two of mine!! She is going out to the Grand Canyon and to Bryce Canyon...........she "loves" Bryce Canyon. Roger told her she should stop in St. George to see the temple and go to the visitors' center. She has been to Temple Square in Salt Lake and seen some of the videos. Like I said, it was really fun. Her watch was an aqua blue with a picture of Elvis in it and her earrings were ELVIS sideways. Fun!!!!

We got back in pretty good time and were able to be there for the last hour or so......... It was so good. Pres. Hanks tries to give them time to ask "any question on any subject" and he will answer as long as one of his answers can be "I don't know". These young people are like sponges.........it was almost like they wanted it to go on and on. They are eager to learn and want to do what's right. I'm just so glad we could be there. And it was fun to watch Roger as he interacted with the Elders. There are a couple up there who he is "coaching"........well, one flat out can't drive anymore........and he's trying to keep the companion driving. They are so appreciative and one of them even gave him a hug. I'm glad. Roger worries a little bit about being a "catcher".......when what he would like to do is trust them and turn them loose. He doesn't want to be the "bad guy", but sometimes has no choice. Lots of times Roger is between Salt Lake and the missionary.........Salt Lake does not see the missionary in the circumstance and know the missionary as Roger does, so lots of times it is a very unenviable position. But he's doing really well! Pres. Hanks is very appreciative and is getting better at communicating that appreciation.

The Newmans were in Tupelo with us on Friday, so we asked Elder Riding and Elder Candland to "tend" the office while we were all gone and to put the bikes together while they were there. Well!!!! This is what we found when we walked in yesterday!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!



There are NINE bikes in there!! And I'm so thankful they are all put together! I think I could do it with some more teaching and practice. But when I think that I'm practicing on someone's $600 or $700 bike I get a little weak in the knees!

We have seventeen missionaries coming on Tuesday! I'm excited to meet them. I will start getting things ready tomorrow for them.........the rest of the bedding came, so I can get that all ready. RAH!!!

I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Now that you have the zone conferences done I hope your work load lightens up a little. I'm glad your hotel beds were comfy.
    I was filing keep sakes the other day (I'm a little behind with this project) and I saw some of your previous Christmas letters. I thought about how great your 2015 letter will be...no pressure.

    ReplyDelete