Wednesday, July 22, 2015

....Emmaus experiences, a.k.a. miracles...........

I wasn't going to write tonight, but I keep thinking about this, so here I am................. When Pres. Hanks has a meeting with the missionaries he asks them to share their "Emmaus Experiences" ........think about Jesus on the road to Emmaus with the two disciples, etc. Sometimes they are called "tender mercies". I think sometimes they are more appropriately called miracles!! I am reminded of something Elder Anderson said in his talk in conference last April. "Eighteen years ago while traveling on a train in Switzerland with President Monson, I asked him about his heavy responsibilities. His response strengthened my faith. 'In the First Presidency,' he said, 'we do everything we can to to move this work forward. But this is the Lord's work, and He directs it. He is at the helm. We marvel as we watch Him open doors we cannot open and perform miracles we can scarcely imagine.'"  Soooooo............. two weeks ago I asked some missionaries who came into the office to write down an Emmaus experience for me.........this is what I received......... "One of our recent converts is from Micronesia in the South Pacific. A young man just moved into our ward who served a mission on her island and SPEAKS HER LANGUAGE. D&C 90:11" "For it shall come to pass in that day, that every man shall hear the fulness of the gospel in his own tongue, and in his own language..." And then, the other day one of the Zone Leaders asked me if I could order a Book of Mormon in Pompanian (I think that's it........at least it's phonetic) I told him I didn't know there was such a language anymore.......the only Pompanians I knew about were buried by Vesuvius thousands of years ago. Well........no...........there is an island in the South Pacific where they speak this language. ............I'm going to have to finish that one later, when I find out more about it.

Roger and I were in the grocery store the other night when a man stocking the shelves stopped us to talk. He had "associated" with the Church in Los Angeles and since moving here he is working two jobs and one of them is nights so he can't get to church Sunday morning. He is Hispanic.......a really nice guy. We are going to see if we can encourage him and find him somewhere he can go in the afternoon......... And I gave a card to the girl who made my sandwich in Subway the other day!!!!! I want to get to where I am giving at least one to someone every day! The missionaries in one of the Districts in the Montgomery area have been working really hard--80-100 hours a week. They have increased their teaching by 300%!!!!! EXCITING!!!!!!! And the Assistants were really excited when they came in this afternoon because another zone or district had committed to do that. I think I better order a little bit more of everything very soon............we are going to need the materials!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment