Saturday, July 4, 2015

Bittersweet blessings........

I really need to post here........... and first, I need to acknowledge that one of my most trusted teachers is gone. I'm really going to miss Pres. Packer and his "no nonsense" approach to living and teaching the gospel. I could always trust him to "tell it like it is". But it warms my heart to think of the reception he received........there is no question................ I have been following the links in the Deseret News article to listen to some of his talks.......remember the "Spiritual Crocodiles"? It has been good to hear his voice, but I'm missing him more. When Elder Christofferson came to the MTC while we were there, he said something about the Brethren assigning things to the "five little boys". Now half the Quorum are "little boys"!! I know we will be "okay".........but I'm going to miss Pres. Packer.

I finally got "my room" all put back together yesterday......well, mostly put back together. We have had people in and out all week long working on cleaning and drying the carpet. The building manager wanted to do everything he could to avoid replacing the carpet, and I think they've done a good job. The smell of the cleaner is still a little strong for Sis. Newman, but because my nose doesn't work very well, I'm okay. We'll see what Pres. Hanks says when he comes on Monday for meeting. Their youngest son has been here this week and Pres. Hanks has been interviewing homeward bound missionaries at the mission home, so we haven't seen him since our MLC meeting on Tuesday. Wow! It feels like that meeting was weeks ago!! We have 12 missionaries going home and 15 coming this week............they tell us we are in for another "dropped in at the deep end" experience. I will have a tiny little part to play, but I'm not even sure what it is at this point. Sis. Newman explained it some yesterday (or the day before), but I don't remember very well........ AGH!!!!!

Some of the things I have ordered have begun to arrive. I'm so glad our Spanish "Restoration" pamphlet box is full again! It was completely empty!! Not good......... And we have some large print Triples.....which lots of people really like to have. So they come and go quickly. I'll stop talking and show you the pictures I took of the room........I put in a couple more shelves and rearranged a few things. And cleaned out some old stuff that we are not using anymore. It's feeling better.



Our "International" Book of Mormon shelves........all different languages of the Book of Mormon ........we get requests for some pretty unusual languages......... 


Quiche.......the indigenous people of Guatamala.....
 

Farsi
 

Tagalog, Telugu, (don't know where that one is spoken), Thai, Ukranian, Urdu..........(from Pakistan), Japanese, Chinese, Lao........

There are lots...........from all over the world.........and they are coming here (or there) when we can't go to them. I visited with an Elder in the office yesterday who immigrated from Tanzania, with his entire family in 2009. They came to Salt Lake City where they were wholeheartedly welcomed (I asked him). He is obviously very thankful to be in the United States and I don't know why they came. I didn't ask. But within a year, the entire family--all nine of them--had joined the church. And now, here he is, sharing the gospel in Alabama.........those were his words--kind of. A darling young man! So thankful for his blessings and full of testimony......out sharing it with the world! And a light in his eyes not to be denied! We also have an Elder from Ghana.......I think I told you about him last week.....one of the best. And this week were are getting another sister from Uganda. 

We are so glad to be here!!! It is such a blessing!

We've had an interesting July 4th..........very quiet. Maybe we'll go out tonight and see if we can see any of the fireworks displays. We exercised then went for a drive........had lunch and found some very lovely homes........that will be another post...........I found another place I want to live.......anyway........ HAPPY 4TH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. When I go east I realize that immigration is still alive and well...we just don't seem to see it as much here. Hope you found some fireworks. One of Tom and mine's favorite thing to do is JUST go for a ride :) I love that you and Roger do that too!

    ReplyDelete